To define something is to state or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of it. So when we begin a research task we need to establish exactly what is required of us for the task. This is the DEFINING stage of the process. These questions help you to 'set the scene' for what you will be doing and will guide your research. Some questiosn you can ask are:
- What do I need to find out about this topic / task?
- What do I already know about this topic / task?
- What is my focus question asking me to do?
- What product do I need to create?
- Who is my target audience?
- How long do I have to complete this task?
- How will I be assessed?